Home - Current Projects - Model Railroad
  Home Model Railroad
  Site Index
  Current Projects
  Items for Sale
  Services Available
  Designer's Notebook
  Open Source Woodworking
  Related Links
  Additional Resources
  Privacy & Security
  Credits & Trademarks
  Contact Information
   Recently updated:
   Reading List

Valid XHTML 1.0!

I have a colleague at work who is modeling the Erie & Pittsburgh Branch of the Penn Central railroad in his basement. At least a portion of it. He ran into some wood working issues and I've been more than happy to help out.
All pictures on this page are copyright (©) my friend and are not mine unless specifically mentioned otherwise.
I spent a few minutes this weekend to route out the rabbet to allow his bridge cores to be the right height (and forgot to get pictures). Used my 1/4" solid carbide router bit, my workhorse. Also got to bring out my Incra Jig since my friend is worried about things down to the thousandth of an inch...
This is a detail shot of one end of the bridge. My friend writes (20031130):
    "I have two pieces of wood which need to have a notch taken out of the corner along their entire length. [. . .] Note how the track on the bridge is higher than the track on the ground. Notching the corner of the abutment will drop down the bridge enough so that the tops of the rails are level."
See that black thing under the tracks on the right? Inside there is a "bridge core" that I made for him with exacting and precise measurements. Looks like my router will get another workout by "notching the corner of the abutment".
This is an overall shot showing a complete span.
That Cherry Coke can on the far right is full of sand I am told. He uses them to keep the tracks down while they are gluing. I recently provided him 3/4 of a ton of window weights from my other project for the same use.
A few weeks ago my friend asked me to machine a few pieces of wood (I chose maple) to some very precise dimensions (down to the thousandth of an inch) to make some bridge cores that would be stiffer (and straighter) than the plastic girders that were provided with his bridge kits. Here are the results.
My friend writes (20031130):
    "The bridge cores worked out great. [This] picture [. . .], looking along the bridges from the top, show how the wood [bridge cores] (painted black) had the girders attached to the sides. Once the track is attached to the top, you won't be able to tell that there aren't bridge pieces inside of the gi[r]ders."
My friend writes that the bridges were completed 20031215.
So I guess having an almost fully equipped shop is worth something!

© 2001-2010 Jeffrey D Gifford